Thursday, 10 October 2013

Featured Artist: Matt Burns

With the release of his first solo album, I took the opportunity to interview Matt, (musician, filmmaker and also happens to be my boyfriend), to find out a little more about his music.




Tell me a bit about yourself.

I am a singer/song writer from Belfast. I have been writing music and lyrics since I was a teenager, some of them become songs, some get thrown away. When I was a bit younger I played in a three piece rock band known as Vague Dazy. Some of the songs on my first album came from the days of jamming with that band. I think with music I get the most enjoyment from trying out and experimenting with stuff in a collaborative situation. I have also recently started up as a free lance filmmaker. I directed my first short film earlier this year.

How would you describe your music?

I find it hard to put a label on the music I do. It's been described in the past as Psychedelic Folk which I am happy to stick with. I like to think my music is dream-like and thought provoking. Most importantly I think its relaxing to listen to.

How long have you been a musician?

I've been a musician for ten years, but I've only really seen myself as a solo musician for two years.

What or who inspires your music?

I'm inspired by music, and often by things that I read when trying to think up lyrics. I take inspiration from Elliott Smith in the way that I record vocals, double tracking the vocals to build up layers of harmony. I love listening to reggae, folk, rock and hip hop.



Tell me a bit about Vague Dazy.

Vague Dazy had quite an aggressive sound; it was very firey but at the same time was quite melodic. Whenever we played a gig the songs came out noisy and violent, but when we recorded them they were soft and gentle. It was a really cheap source of fun.

What has been your favourite moment as a musician?

Playing in the Rotterdam bar in Belfast. It was the sort of place where a lot of like minded people would go. People went to listen to good rock music, and were all friends. It was a really fun time to be in a band.

What is your most recent project?

My debut solo album which was released 7 October 2013. I've got some friends that I want to work with in taking a new musical direction which is what I will hopefully work on next.

Where do you hope to go with your music?

When I first started making music I thought it would be great if someone liked one of my songs. Just to make an audience feel good or feel happy is my aim. So it is has been really rewarding to get a warm response from people who have listened to my recent work. I want to always make time for making music, it makes me happy.



For more information or to purchase the album please follow the links below;

Kiss the World Album:
http://mattburns.bandcamp.com/album/kiss-the-world

Find Matt Burns Music Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/mattburnsmusic?fref=ts




No comments:

Post a Comment